Thursday, February 18, 2010

Snow, Mountains, Happy

After a weekend of some interesting skiing in Mt. Shasta, which included Gramdma's cooking, free lodging and a killer game of scrabble, it was off to the Sierra for some mid-week resort skiing.

As usual, the Sierras didn't disappoint.  The conditions were spring-like and almost too warm. The crowds were small, the lifts were fast and the snow set up perfectly by the middle of the day. I skied fast, slow, and well, but mostly I just had fun! The mood on the lifts, in the lines (what lines?)  and on the hills were all so chipper. Finding a person with a bad attitude would have been impossible and not a worthy pursuit. I chatted with couples from India, South Lake Tahoe and a couple that had me rolling in laughter with a great head-gear impersonation. Just think, "Shit, just go ski the chutes" but with a sweet lisp via head-gear. It was funny at the time... 

I'm already plotting how to get my hands on some back country gear for this spring, and then again for next fall so I can finally get into the back country and make my own lift :) 

This pic was taken from the top of Sugarbowl, I believe the Mt. Lincoln lift. We do need another few storms, and with any luck we'll get them in the next few weeks. That being said, the Western Sierra looks to be in pretty decent condition for a nice spring and summer. Get after it! 

No comments: